The Vidudaya Ritzbury Swimming Championships 2023 organized by the Sports Council and the Department of Physical Education of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura and powered by “Ritzbury”, Sri Lanka’s favorite chocolate brand of Ceylon Biscuit Limited came to an end last Saturday successfully, crowning Triton Aquatics and St. Sebastian’s College Moratuwa with overall champion titles.
The ceremonial event was hosted at the university of Sri Jayawardenepura premises on the 26th of May with the presence of many honorable chief guests namely, the acting Vice Chancellor of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura Prof. Upul Subasinghe, Co -Chairmen of the sports advisory board senior Prof. Pradeep Jayaweera and Senior Prof. Wasantha Perera, Dr. Kaushal Manawadu, Mrs. Nishanthi Vidanage and Mr. Nilupul De Silva, the Marketing General Manager of Ceylon Biscuit Ltd.
“Ritzbury” was the sole sponsor for the 3rd time for this event by powering the dreams of young swimmers.
Triton swimmers won the girl’s overall championship with 329 points including 1 individual age group champion and the senior champion’s titles. Anula Vidyalaya Nugegoda became the runners-up with 259 points.
Sebs swimmers grabbed the boy’s overall championship with 415 points including the senior championship. Triton finished 2nd with 337 points.
At the same time, the presentation ceremony awarded a total of 16 titles including 2 overall championships, 4 senior and junior team championships, and 10 individual championships.
Blue Wave Swimming Academy won the girl’s junior category team championship and Accelerate Swimming Academy won the boys.
The 10 individual champions are,
• Under 10 Girls Champion – Sanumi Nehansa from Lyceum International School Panadura
• Under 10 Boys Champion – B.D. Silva from Butterfly Swimming Academy Galle
• Under 12 Girls Champion – Jithya Mettananda from Blue Wave Swimming Academy
• Under 12 Boys Champion – Chanuga Weerarathne from Blue Wave Swimming Academy
• Under 14 Girls Champion – Heshara De Silva from Lyceum International School Rathnapura
• Under 14 Boys Champion – A.I.M. Haathim from Triton Aquatics
• Under 16 Girls Champion – Nethali Outschoorn from Triton Aquatics
• Under 16 Boys Champion – M.F. Muhammad from Zahira College
• Under 18 Girls Champion – R.N.P. Maleesha from Leeds Aquatic Club Panadura
• Under 18 Boys Champion – Ean Jake from Triton Aquatics
876 youngsters from 95 island-wide schools and clubs raced each other last weekend under five age categories and 128 events.
Swimming events varying from 50m to 200m distances from each stroke were conducted under five age categories as Under 10,12,14,16 and 18.
Out of the 128 events, 108 events were individual while the rest of the 20 events were relays. The competition ran under the support and guidance of Sri Lanka Aquatic Sports Union officials.
The Vidudaya Ritzbury Swimming Championship was a great drive for island-wide young swimmers to experience the competitive environment.